Tips for Non-Holiday Pre-K Activities to do in December
December is a busy time of year for parents, children, and educators. Along with the joys of the holidays comes some stress for those in the classroom. Diversity in the classroom demands that teachers and caregivers exercise fairness and discretion when it comes to activities this time of year. No child wants to feel left out of a celebration or a project because he or she does not subscribe to a particular custom or belief.
December offers the opportunity to do countless projects in a pre-k setting that is not holiday-related. The start of winter and a new year are enough to keep your toddlers and preschoolers busy throughout the season.
Here are some suggested non-holiday topics for early childhood teachers and caregivers to introduce in December:
- Evergreen Trees
- Winter Animals
- Ice Skating, skiing, hockey
- Mittens and Scarves
In each of these categories, your project and curriculum possibilities are endless. Consider some of the following projects:
- Use ice cubes to study melting
- Examine the uniqueness of snowflakes
- Make paper snowflakes
- Examine the differences between evergreen trees and trees that change colors and lose their leaves in autumn.
- Make peppermint slime or peppermint playdough
- Experiment with “dancing dried cranberries” in seltzer
- Play a match game with gingerbread people
- Teach lacing using cutout mittens
- Make paper candlesticks and play a jumping game to the rhyme “Jack Be Nimble.”
- Make caves for hibernating bears
- Use snowmen to color and practice counting
- Make paper snowmen or paper gingerbread men
These tips should keep you and your kids busy, whether in the classroom, at daycare, or even at home.
Contact Us for Powerful Curriculums that Strengthen Your School and Engage Students
Contact Drawn2Learn at [phone] for curriculum programs designed to help teachers, directors, and caregivers provide healthy, meaningful, successful learning experiences to young learners.
Our proprietary curriculum provides a full year of learning with reusable books, materials and lessons. From teachers guides and student workbooks to a full year curriculum, our unique system provides a better, stress free learning experience for children and an additional revenue source for schools.
Call us today to discuss – [phone]